Friday, November 19, 2021

One Shot

Inspirational song: Accidents Will Happen (Elvis Costello)

Looks like I'm back to one of those "you get one activity per day, choose wisely" phases. I hope it is short-lived. I'm pretty sure I know what caused it, and I'm still peeved. I got Chinese takeout Wednesday night, and made such a point of making it gluten-free, not arguing at paying extra to make it possible for me to eat it at all. I was halfway through my dinner when I looked down and thought, huh, that's a funny looking onion. I pushed it around on the plate. Not an onion. It was a lo mein noodle. I sighed, picked it up with my fork, and put it on Mr S-P's bowl. Then I finished my dinner, figuring I'd already done whatever damage by that point. Since then, not only was I (ahem) dyspeptic, I swelled up visibly. When I changed into jammies last night, I saw my legs in the mirror and was concerned enough to weigh myself a second time that day. I was holding on to eight full pounds of water. Yes, that is uncomfortable, thanks. About half of it is gone now, as are all of my reserves of energy. All of this over a noodle I didn't even eat! Anytime I start to think, hey, maybe it's all in my head, maybe I'm not that sensitive to gluten, something like this happens. Yes, Anne, it's real.

If I was only getting one good activity today, it was gonna be with my girls. Sure it was just grocery shopping, but any hour with a grandbaby is quality time. I wish I could fully express how much fun it is to creep into that kid's field of vision when she is in her car seat, waiting for her grandma to come out to see her. She grins and giggles, and she kicks her feet. What a welcome. At the store, we got two shopping carts, one for mommy to load with food, one for grandma to push while Val cart-surfs. We definitely got the better end of that deal.

I probably won't get to see either of them much this weekend. I made my appointment to get my booster shot tomorrow evening. I tried to find one in town, and had no more luck than I did back in the spring for my original shots. So I have to drive a half hour each way, hoping I don't react any worse than I did the first time. First two shots made me nap a little. Who knows what this will bring. Gotta do it. Gonna see people soon. Better to be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment