Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Civic Pride and Civic Duty

Inspirational song: Denton USA (Shock Treatment)

It's election day, and for the first time I can remember, I am closely watching local election returns. I have the county results page up, and I keep refreshing the page, to watch the vote totals for mayor. There were three candidates, and I would have been happy with either of two of them (the third I literally know nothing about). It was a toss-up who I was going to vote for, until I had a chance to have a couple good conversations with one of them at Rotary. He's who I went with. The vote is incredibly tight, with one leading early returns by 11 votes, and at last page refresh, the guy I voted for pulled ahead by 40. I'm rarely so invested in the local races, but this is quite thrilling.

Most of my immediate circle was late in voting. Colorado is an entirely vote-by-mail state, and I absolutely love it. We all get our ballots at the house, and have the choice of mailing them in, dropping in a secure box, going in-person (good for when you lose your ballot), or handing them to the volunteers at the drive up by the county building. I can say at least five of us waited until today to drop them off. My buddy and I went by the volunteer station, so that we could get the I Voted stickers to wear to the Rotary meeting. The Mr dropped his off somewhere by the college, and the kids barely got theirs to a drop box by 7. But we did it. I'm curious how it will all turn out by the time everything is official.

It was a nice, cool, rainy day, which meant I was perky and wanted to be out in it. I persuaded my girls to go somewhere ("Anywhere!") with me, and we ended up just wandering around Safeway. Not the most posh of venues, but it was time with my daughter and granddaughter, so it was quality. Now I feel refreshed, even as I'm still fighting a stuffy nose. (Same cold or fall allergies? Who's to say?) It's amazing how good it feels to have family this close.

No comments:

Post a Comment