Friday, April 8, 2022

At Night

Inspirational song: One Headlight (The Wallflowers)

A week and a half into this thing, and I'm just now getting around to taking the new car out at night. In fact, I just insisted we go out to our favorite casual Mexican restaurant, when neither of us were super hungry, for the sole purpose of seeing how the car feels at night. From the moment the car turned on, we were taken aback at how bright the headlights are. I said it is a good thing the lights themselves are down so low, else people would want to murder me as I'm approaching on the road. I could easily see the notch in the beam pattern that someone on YouTube mentioned. I'm not sure whether that was for a specific purpose, or just a happy accident of how the bulbs are arranged in the cluster. 

When I pulled into the driveway at the end of the night, I noticed the beams making rectangles on the garage door, with those notches looking like pupils in a cartoon drawing of glasses. A friend of mine is married to a member of the punk rock band the Descendents, and they have a highly stylized drawing of a face wearing rectangular glasses as their logo. Just yesterday I saw her drinking from a water bottle with that drawing on it. So seeing that pattern on my garage door made me stop and say hey, that's, uh, Milo? Is that face considered Milo? Something like that. I had to Google both the band/logo and the term for seeing faces in random objects (pareidolia).

Yesterday was a frustrating day with the car, watching the battery drain like there was a hole in it, as I drove to Fort Collins. Today was much better. Two trips around town, and I still have more than 3/4 full battery. I enjoyed taking it around at night, and I'm looking forward to switching out the ambient lighting color with my mood (currently a warm purple). I offered to let Mr S-P drive to dinner and he declined. He was too tired. That's okay. I'm still having fun with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment