Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Lore

Inspirational song: Puppy Love (Donny Osmond)

Saoirse says it is bedtime. Or snuggle time. Really, those are the same thing. Either way, she doesn't want me to continue to sit in my recliner, working on the blog. No matter how much I squirm, she keeps putting her mouth on my feet, to keep me from focusing. She was locked in the garage with Murray while everyone was here, including Valerie, for game night, so there wasn't even more chaos. She got lonely out there, and now won't leave me alone. Ditto for the cats. As soon as the last two guys left, Athena walked out of the bedroom and started talking to me. Alfred is camped in my lap now (making evading Saoirse's affection even that much harder.) The pets aren't afraid of the gang, but they don't get nearly the one-on-one attention they require, so they get huffy and stay distant for those couple hours.

I wasn't sure whether the game was here or next door, so I spent much of the day tidying up as if it were here. I made way more progress than I expected. Maybe that was because I didn't have to spend any time or energy on the stuff I worked on so hard Monday. Maybe it was because I've already made a dent with the roughly 100 things I've already donated. Maybe I was just ruthless. It was just nice having that much clean countertop exposed and easily re-cleared once everyone left. Several days of babysitting start tomorrow. What are the odds this will last?

We restarted our game that went on hiatus last fall when the Mr started a semester where he taught four classes at once. The entire night was devoted to recapping where we have been, re-reading history and lore of this world, and making a single decision what to do next. In game time, we literally never left the room where we are staying. We just returned from dinner and started talking about what to do the next day. I don't think we actually made that choice yet. My daughter couldn't be here tonight, since she works Wednesday evenings, so we joked that Valerie would play her character. This is the one that is alternately a little boy or a ginger cat, who gets a little too eager to do magic and creates area-of-effect spells that end up knocking the wind out of one of us (or worse). We said all Val needed to do was roll a 20-sided die and squeal. She's good at that. So when Val's mommy texted in, she said Val has now declared Oliver (the character) to be a Jellicle cat. Of course. We should have known.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment