Friday, April 1, 2022

Trickle

Inspirational song: While My Guitar Gently Weeps (The Beatles)

When we tried to charge the car yesterday, I hadn't pulled far enough in the driveway for the charge cable to reach. I had to wait for the mangled steel left over from the hit and run incident to be cleared away to back up really close, but on returning from the grocery store, I tried to do better with the space I had. Plus for good measure I put the car another 18 inches to the north, to get the shortest distance to the plug. 

This morning I got up early to start the process, and we ran into more hiccups. The plug I was using was apparently wired incorrectly. It did just fine with the extension cord that powered the Christmas lights, but the fancy new car would have none of it. The Mr put the wires in the right places, and we ran the charger that now reached the car charge port, and we were in business. It sat on the "trickle charger" (no lie, that is what the manual calls it) for about four hours before we decoupled it, and picked up the girls to go to brunch. I only got a third of a charge, I think. I forgot to look at it until we were leaving Le Peep.

Mr S-P ran by one of the hardware stores and bought an outlet that has a big switch on it, so we can leave the plug in the wall yet still disconnect from the car. Next step, getting it wired on the wall next to the garage door. No idea how long it will take for that to happen. I'm not holding my breath.

This evening, I gave it one more go. The steel was gone to the recycling center, so I parked even closer. I set it to charge, and this time had enough slack to close the garage door over it. Surely overnight it will fill all the way up. As the Mr left to go to the climbing gym, I wished him a fun evening, and said I'd just be watching a little YouTube and turning in early. He leaned back in and asked, "while your car gently charges?" Indeed, yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment