Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Spelling Bee

Inspirational song: Flight of the Bumblebee (Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov)

Boulder County has not had it easy for the last several months. Or perhaps years. Fire season didn't use to be this extensive, did it? Yesterday there were so many little brush fires around, the local reporter I follow on Twitter was having a hard time keeping them all straight. This afternoon, the Mr and I were on a real estate recon mission, and as we headed to the rural area northeast of Boulder, we were surprised by a wall of smoke. There was yet another grass fire, and right as I wondered aloud whether I would be permitted to drive all the way to where I wanted to turn, both of our phones went off in reverse-911 kind of alert, saying they were evacuating the area we were pointed towards. They got a handle on this fire fairly quickly, but man, these are coming one after another. I'd welcome a few of those famed April showers.

I had a very busy day, impeded somewhat by a still sore skeleton. I've been scaled back to only quarterly visits to the PT, as my lymphoedema has been behaving very well since the last surgery. I got to hang out with the cutest kid in Colorado twice today, interrupted by the drive near the grass fire and drinks with the Rotary club. During my first Valerie time, we watched boatloads of Cats (the musical) videos. For her second act, she was a superstar, playing all over grandma and grandpa's house while the boring grownups played their own games. She showed off how smart she is getting, and how quickly she is overcoming her vocabulary regression. She went several months hardly speaking in front of anyone but her parents. Lately, she is showing off just how many words she knows and is willing to repeat. The longest word we have heard came tonight. We were practicing naming letters, and she mistook a capital B for an S. I said, "B like bumblebee," and went on to pointing at other things. I thought at first she was saying "Valerie" because that's what I pointed at next. Then I realized she was sounding out bumblebee until she got it right. We were all appropriately impressed. She said it a good twenty times, including on camera for her mommy who was at work. What a kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment