Sunday, April 23, 2023

Gardener

Inspirational song: Traveling Man (Ricky Nelson)

Our girl earned her gardening gloves today. Grandma is so proud. We had to run up to Walmart after they arrived, to grab several unrelated things, and while there, we went looking for child-sized gloves. Selection was limited. It was either purple Paw Patrol print or orange Paw Patrol print. We got both, but she likes the purple best.

While her brother and grandpa took a nap, she and I went out to pull weeds and move a few things around. I showed her the creeping bellflower and told her to rip it up anywhere she saw it. She actually did it for a good few minutes. Then she went to smooth her hands over a dirt pile, and that was fine. I pulled out dead petunias out of the last two coconut lined wire baskets, and left a lot of soil in them to hold their shape. I asked Valerie if she was able to lift the baskets to take them to the front porch. She couldn't quite do it, so we team-lifted them and carried them around. She was totally engaged, holding her side with both hands and not letting go, taking this yardwork incredibly seriously. Then, when we filled up a plastic planter with leaves and pulled weeds, we team-carried that back around to where the city compost bin sat. Even now, hours later, my heart still skips beats thinking about how wonderful this was. I'm so proud. 

Our boy is absolutely on track. I should never have wondered whether he was advancing fast enough on crawling. He has that down. He travels all over this house, and he crawls all over his grandparents. He's more than a handful. He thought it was hilarious to wrassle with me in my chair once he had eaten enough of his formula. He kept smiling at me as he realized he was winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment