Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Science and Math

Inspirational song: The Galaxy Song (Monty Python)

My brain is full. Granted, I didn't have a whole lot of available data storage space in it when this day started, but I think I learned everything I possibly can, and it's time to stop. 

The program at Rotary was riveting. A Nobel laureate particle physicist from CU Boulder came to give a non-physicist level lesson to us about fossils from the Big Bang, as in what was left over after the initial burst of matter and antimatter canceled each other out. I couldn't repeat the entire lecture, but I did absorb that it dealt with an asymmetry at the subatomic level. It was cool and the scientist was a fantastic presenter.

I should have come home afterwards and gotten to work, but apparently my head needed to run some updates first. I sat down, turned on a little cable news, and went straight to sleep. Two hours later I woke in a fog to the cats telling me that dinner was due. Don't tell me cats can't tell time. It was precisely 4:30 when they woke me, their regular dinner hour.

Once I shook off the lethargy of a long afternoon nap, I tried again to make inroads on my business research. I accidentally dropped a hint in a blog post in the last day or two about my minor career course correction. I'm not getting out of real estate per se, but now I am working on a proposal to venture back into property management. I was so happy when we sold our last rental a year ago, thinking I was done with that whole business. Now here I am looking to do it for other people. I know I must be nuts, but I believe it is my true calling. I did it for 20 years, and I guess that wasn't enough. To make a living at it, I have to jump through a lot more hoops. For example I have to keep my real estate license, set up separate trust and business bank accounts, acquire a bunch of additional insurance, and establish an LLC or S-Corp (the latter of which I know nothing about yet). I read about an hour, in bits and pieces, about the requirements for this, and I'm not sure I'm more informed than when I left the meeting with my managing broker last week. Not sure yet whether I will be doing this under the umbrella of my current brokerage or going independent. There are pros and cons each way. Until I'm actually writing the business plan and reviewing the numbers the boss crunched, I won't speculate.

The lights on timers are out. Time for me and the fluffy girls to retire and work out our time and space issues horizontally.

No comments:

Post a Comment