Monday, April 24, 2023

Puzzled

Inspirational song: Run to the Hills (Iron Maiden)

This house is a wreck. Holy cow, it is bad. I try to keep the swearing here to a minimum, compared to how I talk in real life, so you're gonna have to imagine when I say I look around and swear more foully than usual, just how bad this place looks. I've made a few stabs at washing dishes and doing laundry, but unbelievably that only seems to have set me back farther, based on the mountain of folded laundry just piled on the bench in room. 

I've obviously taken on too much lately. The regular babysitting schedule was already a full-time gig for me. Then cleaning other people's houses and trying to launch a business came along, and now I'm so overloaded that I can't do any one thing well. I'm barely keeping up with the kids at all, and I have no hope of keeping the house clean once they've been here. Somehow I doubt if I spend enough time to catch up in the three days "off" starting tomorrow, that I will be able to rest up enough to keep up with the little ones when they get back on Friday. My only hope is remembering that the school semester ends in a couple weeks, so the man will be here more often for three months.

Somewhere around 4 o'clock this afternoon, two-thirds of the way through my babysitting shift, I was in my chair, zoned out on a tablet jigsaw puzzle app. Valerie climbed into my lap and asked to help me play puzzle. I'd tried to explain to her how this one works before, and she didn't really seem to absorb it. Today she played like she knew what she was doing all along. I picked out the pieces from the row on the side of the screen and put them in the middle of the screen. She took over and found where they went with only a little assistance from me. (To clarify, I assemble the frame first, and then solve in concentric rings moving toward the center. 550 piece puzzles, pieces rotate, and I've memorized the shapes and the order they go in.) I only took a four second video of her placing a piece. I should have taken a photo to share here.

No comments:

Post a Comment