Thursday, April 13, 2023

Wasn't So Bad

Inspirational song: I'll Sleep When I'm Dead (Warren Zevon)

Months of tying myself in emotional knots and a week of panicking about having a hard conversation had me in quite a state this morning. But after that same conversation went in directions I never could have anticipated, mostly good and helpful, I came home and felt layers of stress peel off of me. By 7:30, I completely shut down. I came into the bedroom, turned on videos about northern European history for background noise, and I slept so hard that I never moved once for like two hours. Apparently I needed this.

Stage one of my decompression was to stop at Gulley's nursery, for the first time in seven years of driving past it at least once a month. It's still early spring, so the annuals weren't set out yet, but the houseplant section was a paradise, and when I walked through the doors to the perennial section, the combined scent of the blooms smacked me in the face. I stopped dead in my tracks and just breathed. What a perfect place to get my brain back on track.

They had tiny succulent "plugs" for sale in a form I'd never seen before. They were in one inch cells, and you just pop them out and put them in a zippy bag, no nursery pot. Is this common elsewhere? I thought it was odd, but I liked it. I got an adorable variegated string of buttons (crassula perforata) for $4.50, after military discount, that way. I also got a super tiny air plant (tillandsia pruinosa) for even cheaper. Prices overall were about average, I guess, but they had a range of sizes, so I am able to get the baby plants I prefer at a nice price.

No comments:

Post a Comment