Monday, October 15, 2018

Dual Seasons

Inspirational song: Hey, Nineteen (Steely Dan)

This morning was so beautiful. It was clear and sunny, and the fall colors were vivid against the snow. If I had been paying attention, I would have started taking pictures immediately. Or I would have pulled over sooner to take surreptitious shots of the old farm houses along the highways I was traveling. It didn't occur to me until too late to get the early morning light just so. I told myself I'd be able to get up early and get these same pictures another day, but when I had driven several miles past the most perfect views, it finally sank in that this was a once in a generation sort of day. The heavy snow fell before the trees finished turning colors all the way, much less dropped their leaves. It was crazy pretty, and by tomorrow all this snow will be melted away, and the leaves will probably fall before the next big one hits. The last few years didn't see real snow until well into November. We can't say that these conditions will align again as long as I'm still writing this blog. I missed my chance.

Even though I started later than I should have, I did get a few pictures. I had time to kill between my obligations, so rather than go directly from one to another, I wandered through neighborhoods in two different towns. I got lost, as much as I ever do (not much). Not every photo was worthy of a glossy magazine, but for being drive-bys, they were sort of fun to take.








No comments:

Post a Comment