Friday, October 26, 2018

Tis the Season

Inspirational song: A Change is Gonna Come (Sam Cooke)

By the time I reached the end of the day, there was only one thing I wanted to write about: civic engagement. I filled out my ballot four days ago, but I waited to turn it in until I had time to carry it inside the courthouse and trade it for that lovely, lovely sticker. I live for this. I have had my sticker from the primaries on my iPad cover since spring. I am geeking out over this one from today.

My vote is almost certainly throwing a pebble in the ocean for my congressional district. I know that. Even with only about 850,000 residents of all ages in the entire district, I don't know that my candidate can pull in enough for the win. It won't stop me from using my voice. I encourage all of you to do the same. Sometimes we'll be on the same side, and sometimes we won't. Sometimes we'll win, and sometimes we'll lose.

I have more of a chance of siding with the majorities for local government and state issues. I'm a little uneasy about one of my votes. I went back and forth on an issue, and once I inked it in, I felt bad about it. I'm kind of hoping it either wins or loses by a large margin, so I don't feel like I was the one who tipped the scale.

There's just over a week left. Vote. For reals. Do it. It will always be worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment