Sunday, October 14, 2018

Piled Up

Inspirational song: Frustrated (The Knack)

Did you think I was kidding last night about the arctic front bringing in a monster snowstorm? Yeah, no. It was crazy, for being this early in the season. The highway from Boulder was sporty, with heavy snow blowing straight at us at a decent clip. The grass was coated by the time we hit town. We unloaded as fast as we could when we got home, and ran inside to power down after a long day. The Mr went to soak in the hot tub, and I intended to join him as soon as I wrote last night's blog. He came in as I was adding the photos, saying the wind was so cold and wet that even with the curtains blocking most of it, it was miserable out there. I took his word for it and stayed inside. I took pictures out the windows right after I posted last night, and then again a few hours later after I watched the recording of the CU-USC game, at around 1 am. I was disappointed after our first loss of the season, and it took me a while to fall asleep after that. I continued to peek outside, watching the heavy snow fall. They had predicted that we would see between one and four inches, between last night and this morning combined. There was much more than that by daybreak. The Mr worried for the health of all the trees in town (and specifically in our yard), because so few had dropped their leaves already. Thankfully the snow slid right off most of them, although our adolescent nectarine tree out back needed a hand with it.  By mid day, the streets and sidewalks were warm enough to have melted all the snow without assistance, but the landscaping is still deep in the thick of it.

I followed through on my promise to myself, that I would do absolutely nothing strenuous today. I wore my pajamas and robe until mid afternoon, and I stayed in my favorite chair almost the entire time. I had found a recipe on Pinterest for those cheese rolls you get at Brazilian steak houses (pan de yuca), and I made a version of them to take next door for Sunday night football. (Review of the rolls: next time use moister cheese, as it calls for mozzarella and queso fresco, and I used manchego and swiss, and use tapioca starch instead of the heftier cassava flour that uses the entire yuca root.) Dinner and company was excellent, and we were comfy in our (clean) jammies and robes in front of the fire watching football. But just as my Buffs lost last night, the Chiefs lost in a heartbreaker. Not my best football weekend. It's more disappointment than I was prepared for. It's okay, though. Things will pick up this next week. I'm just sure of it.











No comments:

Post a Comment