Saturday, October 6, 2018

Necking

Inspirational song: Hold Me Tight (v Across the Universe)

It's slowly occurring to me that in my entire life, since I learned how to sew real clothing at age 9, I may never have  attempted to construct a blazer or another jacket with a similar collar. These are shapes that I don't already know by heart, and I'm struggling with creating on from scratch. I went digging through my coat closet, and studied four or five jackets that all used the same building blocks, to try to copy the shapes. I don't quite have the angles down, even after three attempts. To avoid feeling like a failure, I'm going to search for an old purchased pattern I have around here somewhere, with a version of this kind of collar. I may be able to apply its lessons before I run out of muslin.

I'm running out of time on this costume. I tell myself every morning that I'm going to bang it out, and this afternoon was the first time I made any real progress. I had to completely disassemble the body of the pattern, cut it according to my adjustment lines, make each side match perfectly, and then sew it back together. That process alone took up easily two hours. Once I got around to figuring out collars, I was tired of it all (and from the muscle spasms I've been dealing with for weeks). I cut three different collars, and not one of them was correct. I had to walk away from it until I am able to do research on a screen larger than the one on my phone.

I'm dangerously close to admitting weakness and recruiting help on this one. I feel bad for not having it nearly finished by now. A full scale freak out is imminent.


No comments:

Post a Comment