Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Il A Neigé

Inspirational song: Riding the Storm Out (REO Speedwagon)

It was impossible to fall asleep last night. I was jittery and twitchy, and even though I was super tired, I stayed up watching tv. I watched Doctor Who for a while, and then I stayed up super late watching Fantastic Beasts until I finally drifted off halfway through it, around two this morning. It was hard on my body and mind, but it ended up being great for my soul. I remembered right about the time the movie started to look outside, and I witnessed the beginning of the first snowfall of the season for my town. It was coming down at a good clip, clearly visible in the peachy tungsten light outside my window. It didn’t amount to more than a dusting by daybreak, but who cares? It’s the idea that the snowy season has begun that appeals to my inner child.

The Mr saw the local wild animal rescue facility put out a call on their Facebook page for nuts still in shells, to give to the collection of squirrels in residence right now. They have a bunch of them, and not a lot of food. We had a huge zippy bag full of pecans we collected years ago from the auxiliary airfield north of Joint Base Charleston (that was also part of his domain when he was working there). The pecans were probably four years old, maybe five. I never got around to cracking them, and I just buy them from Costco now, clean and ready for baking. I don’t need to mess my hands up smashing all those shells anymore. But I did sample one of the well-aged nuts to make sure they were good enough for squirrels. They were fine.

The snow picked up as we drove toward the mountains, to the animal rescue facility. I couldn’t hold in a few outbursts of “what a glorious day” and “aren’t the colors beautiful against the gray sky.” We didn’t pull over every time I saw things I wanted pictures of, but I did get to take a few of fog rising off a lake on our way home. It’s supposed to rain and snow off and on for most of the next week. I’ll have time for more pictures. Lots of snow pictures. Yay!




1 comment:

  1. I'd like to hear more about your disabled dog and how he does his daily life....and also how you relate to his problems since you have your own...could you work that in....because it is a small universe and many of us are interested

    ReplyDelete