Sunday, October 21, 2018

Opportunistic

Inspirational song: Every Picture Tells a Story (Rod Stewart)

So there I was, driving back from a quick trip to Lowe's for sandpaper and an X-acto knife, stopped at the first light. My mind was on the view from the bridge in the industrial area that overlooks the recently completed flood mitigation that will be our town's version of a river walk/tubing and water activity zone. From that spot, you can see the snowy peaks on the second range. It didn't occur to me until the light went green that I was in the wrong lane. My lane led to the inner circle of a roundabout (of which there are newly hundreds in Northern Colorado -- it is the "in" thing to do in city design in the last decade or so). I sort of sped up, thinking I'd bully my way in front of the SUV in the through lane. Before I actually entered the traffic circle, realizing that I'd cause a wreck if I tried to move over in the short distance I had left, I made a judgement call: I'd fake it. I'd pretend I actually wanted to turn left at the roundabout. That way I could both save face and prevent smashing up my cute little car that I still love madly.

As soon as I exited the circle on the left side, I realized that I had accidentally put myself exactly where I wanted to be. If I wanted a picture of the mountain view over the river, I couldn't stop on the car bridge. I needed to park in the lot next to the Dress Barn, or whatever it is down there (I honestly don't know). I parked, got out, and took my pictures, at my leisure. There were Canada geese in the area that still has plastic fencing, honking at me, telling me to stay on the path and not come any closer to them. I took their advice.

There was a van in the Lowe's parking lot with a message I wanted to share. I appreciate that they wrote "Register to vote" on their window, but I think they need to add a line: "Now turn in your ballot." Everyone here should have gotten their ballot in the mail last week. Colorado makes it easy. Everyone gets paper, in the mail, and you can mail it back now or drop it off in town for the "I Voted" sticker (the best stickers a grown up can get, even if they aren't scratch and sniff). I wish everyone in the country had it as good as we do. A few states do. All of you: do your civic duty. Make your voices heard. There is no excuse not to have record turnout for this congressional election. Do it now.




No comments:

Post a Comment