Friday, July 19, 2019

On This Day

Inspirational song: Walking on the Moon (The Police)

If ever there was a day I wish I had thought to get a guest author, this would have been a great time to do it. The news is covered with stories of the moon landing, and I have no first hand memories to share. Yeah, I was alive for the big event, but I was too young to have any awareness of what was happening. I was just a baby. My brother was a pre-schooler then, and my parents were rather young too, in their 20s. I'd love to know what they and their peers thought of it all. My dad was already in the air force at that point, so in my head, they were all extra excited about it, watching in a group at someone's base house, like I've seen in movies. But what if the reality was that he was in training and my mom was too busy with little kids to really care?

Do we still watch cultural moments like we did that day 50 years ago? There are still things bunches of us see, like the Game of Thrones finale or the Women's World Cup, to name two from this year. But those just aren't as historically significant. What compares? Is there anything that we all watch live, glued to the set like that? I wonder, with on demand streaming and DVRs, will we ever have a moment of mutual breathless anticipation like that again?

If anyone older than me, even by a year or two, has a fun or interesting memory associated with the moon landing, I'd be interested to hear. Leave me a comment on the blog page or on the Scenes from Smith Park Facebook page. I should have asked for this yesterday.

(Guest photo: from my daughter, on the occasion of the last eclipse)


No comments:

Post a Comment