Friday, March 25, 2022

Little Blue Bullet

Inspirational song: She's Gone (Hall & Oates)

For the first time in many, many years, I do not currently have a car to my name. I'm feeling just a little adrift. This was our best day to finish shining up the blue Focus and take it down to the Ford dealer to see whether they would match the offer we had from Carmax. I hoped they would. I didn't want to drive to Loveland today. By the time we got the car sparkling clean, I was so tired. You can't imagine how nice it was to have someone else do the negotiating for me, who is willing to say all the right "come on, you and I both know..." kinds of things. Once it was all said and done, the Carmax offer was matched, and if we had wanted to play hardball, we might have gotten a little bit more. But honestly, by that point it was worth missing out on two or three hundred just to have it done.

In one final jab of misogyny, they made the check out to the Mr, not me. It was supposed to go in my checking account for the purchase of the next car when it gets here. His name is not on my local bank account. We have a credit union account in both our names, but no local branch. How nice of the guy to assume, even after sitting next to us for so long, hearing me call it "my car." 

I hope the new one makes it here next week. Our schedule is pretty tight, so we won't be able to get it before Wednesday at the earliest, even if it were to come in tomorrow. I just need assurances that it will be here at all. Until then, I'll stay home a lot. 

It occurs to me that I failed to take a final picture of it. So let me go find one from the penultimate car wash, several days ago.

Farewell, little blue bullet. I sure had fun driving you for 9 years. Go find that kid going off to college who I just know needs you now.

No comments:

Post a Comment