Monday, March 14, 2022

The Same as Yesterday

Inspirational song: Life During Wartime (Talking Heads)

I warned all y'all it was gonna be boring for a while. It certainly has been in this room, in this house, all day today. I moved as little as I possibly could. I see the doctor tomorrow morning for my one week check, and it is my intention to describe my arms as "feeling like being stung by a swarm of bees who all have tiny knives on their legs, which they are also stabbing me with." Okay maybe that's too wordy. I'll find a shorter way to say it.

Late this morning, I turned on the SiriusXM app on my iPad and let it go all day on my preferred cable news channel. I definitely got the "are you still listening" prompt from it, but it was a nice background drone while I napped in my chair. Right before I finally turned it off, one of the hosts interviewed a former government advisor in Ukraine, who is still in Kyiv. He said he and his young family have gotten to where they can sleep through the sound of air raid sirens and bombs. The first few days were hard, but they're getting used to it now. I've been thinking of the above Talking Heads song ever since.

I asked for my kids to visit today, but my timing was off. They had just gotten back from a trip to the park when I asked, and it was time for lunch and nap. I did, however, get sent a photo that sent me into giggles. While my head knows it was a brief pause in a very fun time of running around, my imagination took it in a whole different direction. It seemed deep and introspective, a study in persistence and futility. Behold, Valerie as Sisyphus.

No comments:

Post a Comment