Wednesday, March 30, 2022

The New Family Truckster

Inspirational song: Love's Great Adventure (Ultravox)

What a big morning! We ran just a little late getting down to Golden (almost entirely due to the Mr setting down his black car key on a black surface, under a dark overhang...), but we pulled up and parked next to a silver Tucson with just a sprinkling of snow on the windshield. It was my pretty new baby. We took care of the initial paperwork, giving them our driver's licenses and insurance info and whatnot. Then we went out for a once-over of the car. The salesman was going through infotainment stuff with me, when I kind of remembered what time it was, and that the Mr was probably inside getting fidgety and short-tempered, since I had promised him we would be in and out quickly, so that he could go home and prepare for class. I interrupted the discussion of car features and said hey, I gotta go pay for this thing so that guy in there can leave and teach class.

There were no real surprises, other than the entire interior of the car. I thought it had been listed as a gray interior, which would have been nearly white. It wasn't until after we had paid and I went back out with my salesman that I looked around and noticed it was the black interior. At this point, I don't even care. It's fine. I have the car I wanted and no one is taking it back. Every time I heard people (in person or on TV) complain about gas prices, my stomach clenched and I got agitated, wanting my car that I can run off my solar panels to hurry up and arrive. The longer I waited, the more I built up an irrational fear that someone would yank it out from my clutches, even though I had money down on it. 

We signed our names several times and wrote checks. I got my key fobs, and paired my phone to the car. I let the salesman go in to his next appointment while I sat there and called SiriusXM to transfer my account. And as I drove off the lot, I started thinking: You know, the car was backed into a parking place. I never checked to see whether they got around to attaching the temp tag before I was turned loose. Was I driving a tagless car? Should I pull over and look? I stressed over it until I hit South Boulder Road, and i couldn't stand it anymore. I stopped and looked. It was there. I was fine. I laughed at myself and went on.

I stopped at the park once I got to town, to show my grandbaby the new car. She was unimpressed. Then I went to pick up my friend who was my concierge, and she and I went to 5 Guys for a snack. She really likes the color combo I got, even though I'm mostly ignoring that aspect. And then I came home and tried to back the car into the driveway without hitting Mr S-P's car. And I tried again. And again. It took four total course corrections, and that is with a 360 degree camera view. This will take some practice, driving a car much bigger than my little Focus.

I wasn't able to get it plugged in. Where the outlet is in the garage to where I parked was about a foot too far away for the charging cord. I don't have the nerve to use an extension cord. We just have to replace an older outlet right next to the door, and I will be able to use that sweet solar power. And between the light snow in Golden and its first highway drive, car got dusty. I need to transfer my unlimited car was membership to this vehicle tomorrow, and then I'll get more extensive photos. It will probably be sunnier then too.

No comments:

Post a Comment