Saturday, March 5, 2022

Over the Hump

Inspirational song: All Right Now (Free)

Ahead of Tuesday's surgery, I'm not allowed to take several of my regular medications that keep the lupus wolf at bay. I can't take my daily prescription strength anti-inflammatory, because it might cause a bleeding risk. I can't take any supplements like D or B12 because, well, I don't know why. Because they said so. And for some reason they told me not to take my hydroxychloroquine. Um, okay. 

By yesterday, the absence of these things was really apparent. We took the baby with us to Costco, and the slow walk around the store was the absolute limit of what my body could perform. I was so glad we scored the #1 premium parking place directly across from the door (yay blue placard!), so I didn't have to go far afterwards. It was all I could do to grab a bag of pears and my purse and carry them up the three stairs into the house. I sat in a chair and let YouTube autoplay for hours after that, too tired and sore to get up and go to bed.

It was at that point I gave myself permission to intentionally skip writing for one night. I was sick of finding creative ways to say hey, I don't feel like it. It was a pleasant break from obligations, and it left me somewhat refreshed. The lack of medications, on the other hand, didn't improve me one bit. Sure, it gave me a chance to clear out my medicine cabinet of several bottles that just held one or two pills after I switched to dated daily pill packs. There are a few things I'm still able to take, and I am not skipping them. But I still spent most of the afternoon fighting off soreness and fatigue that resembles what most people experience with the flu, without any coughing or sinus involvement.

The good news is I have made it past the onerous tasks that I had to complete before I could focus on surgery and recovery. I am missing one document for my CE audit, and I just turned in what I have, with a note saying I just don't have it (from March 2020--I wonder if there was anything important happening then). I'll probably owe a fine, and for sure have to take an additional class, and I accept that. I'm just letting it go. This morning was the zoom version of the caucus for the upcoming primaries. I almost missed this one, but managed to get registered and present at the last minute. And I'm going ahead with staying a precinct leader and delegate, along with my buddy who lives at the other end of the precinct. Local political involvement is addicting.

I have two days completely open to clean house as best as I can before surgery. It won't be perfect. It never is. But I ought to be able to get it to a level where maintenance will be easier while I can't use my arms much. I've blocked out whether I had much pain after the last surgery in August, and this one is to make me match as best as I can left-to-right. I'm looking forward to it, even if it hurts a little. I'll spend the next couple weeks with my floofy nursemaids, and be happy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment