Saturday, January 21, 2023

Changing Times

Inspirational song: Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) (Green Day)

After eleven, maybe twelve years, it is the end of an era for me. Today I said goodbye to Slow Hand and canceled my Massage Envy membership. I'm sad about it at some levels, because it was a very healthy habit I kept for over a decade, and it made me happy. But belt-tightening has to happen this year, and between membership, paying for the extra half hour each time, and tip, it was running me around $125, and that is even factoring in the tiny military discount we had been getting. I was ready to let it go. I'll be relying on Epsom salts and that little massage gun I got for Christmas for the time being.

Since our weekends are dedicated to babysitting, I have watched very little football. CU's season was dreadful, so I didn't miss it much. Next year looks to be very different, so those kids will have to be watching their Disney on the iPad while grandma watches our revitalized team. I also missed out on most of the NFL season. I think I saw a combined total of about 1 3/4 games. This morning, we got texted a picture of our neighbor and his baby, both dressed in Chiefs jammies. He said it was playoffs day, and kickoff was at 2:30. I promised we would be over, as long as we could bring over the kids. 

Valerie used to be super shy around our neighbor, once she started walking and realized how tall he is. She is mostly over that now, but she did spend a lot of time snuggling with me and coloring rather than interacting. She had a quiet kind of day, and needed extra hugs, which I was more than happy to provide. Dmitri was being very charming, except for one brief cry while staring at our neighbor. We don't know why he seemed scary for those five minutes. Once he started holding Dmitri, all was good. The neighbors were astounded by how solid that boy is, compared to their dainty two-month old daughter. We made a lot of brick, tank, and offensive lineman comments. Dmitri smiled through it all. He also studied the ice in grandpa's drink, but not matter how hard he tried to grab at it, he never got to bring that one to his mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment