Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Scout

Inspirational song: The Rainbow Connection (Kermit the Frog)

Phase two of the Plant Gift Caper is complete. My daughter and granddaughter met me at my house after Rotary, and we went to the Flower Bin to look for the good stuff. I saw a whole row of really interesting Hoyas that I photographed for my friend, and I spent more than a little time in the succulent section for me. I saw a few that I would love as a housewarming gift if I were the one getting it at this phase of my life. However, the recipient is more than 20 years younger than I, and into a whole different world of aesthetics than I am. So rather than just buying the lovely, full carnosa krimson princess I saw, or the bushy wyetii, or heart-shaped kerrii and just handing it to my friend, we are going to go together to see whether they interest her more in person, or does a whole different vibe appeal to her. So yeah. Going back next week.

While in the succulent section, I bought a couple super tiny things for me (the little 2 inch pots). One is a type of Echeveria with deep pink on the points of its leaves that I absolutely fell in love with. The other is a Crassula obvallata, a type of jade with really big leaves. I'm not sure whether it is the thing I have been searching for or not, but it's the closest I've found thus far.

Valerie had a great time watching the huge koi fish in the pond and being allowed to run at full speed through the mostly empty greenhouse. Usually she is confined to a cart in stores, so the Flower Bin in winter is her current favorite shopping experience. At least this time, she didn't get herself soaked by sticking her hands in the fountain like last time. (Last time, just as I saw her coming at me sopping wet, I heard, "Go hug grandma!") It was better that she didn't get wet this time. The weather was really turning while we were at the store. Local weather guys are saying this is supposed to be the worst January storm in 30 years. Man, I sure hope so. I've waited for my snowpocalypse for years. School is already canceled, so tomorrow's plan is grandpa taking Valerie sledding. I hope that kid understands some day how lucky she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment