Saturday, January 14, 2023

Room for More

Inspirational song: Private Eyes (Hall and Oates)

Just when you think you're out of the game, something sucks you back in. I had hit a level of satiety with my plants, when I put the last one on the rack on Monday and decided it was full. I still wouldn't pass up a Hoya linearis if I saw one in the wild, but in general, I'm feeling pleasantly full. This morning, the Mr asked me if I'd seen the mailer we got from Ace Hardware, with the 20% off everything that fits in the reusable bag promotion. Well, obviously we went to look. I was proud of myself for not buying a living plant, but the Mr did stock up on seeds for next season. I certainly didn't struggle over that. We bought a few terracotta pots (brown rather than orange), and some hooks to pull the hanging pots off the screen in the living room. But no new plants.

Then this evening, I got a text with an offer I couldn't refuse. One of my very good friends needs shopping assistance to purchase a plant as a gift for someone in her family, and after some back and forth, we chose the genus of plant she wants. I will be heading back to the Flower Bin, looking at the very things I am hopelessly addicted to, trying hard to focus on the friend's gift, not on adding to my collection. Time to see whether my spine is made of steel or jello.

The kids are blowing us away every day. Valerie has learned how to properly pronounce "humidifer," as she is fascinated by the one I have running by the plant shelves. I feel like I need to stop calling her a toddler and come up with the next stage label. "Preschooler?" "Kid?" "Precocious miracle?" Dmitri is doing everything a six-month old does, like getting way better at sitting unsupported, eating with enthusiasm, and figuring out how to put everything he sees into his mouth. His first tooth broke through the surface of his gum this morning, not yet visible but able to be felt. And he is so gregarious, taking after his grandfather, that he is a champ at eye contact and smiling when he is sure you're looking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment