Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Dragon Day

Inspirational song: Stop Draggin' My Heart Around (Stevie Nicks and Tom Petty)

When I started coming up out of my dream sleep, before I was fully awake, I thought someone must have put on a crockpot of bean soup, because it smelled savory and smoky in my room. Then I sort of jerked awake, first thinking oh crap, who started cooking and left it overnight, then thinking oh, right. The whole house fan is on, sucking air from outside that is full of wildland fire smoke. There were three fires on the front range that I knew of when I got up. Before the sun went down, there was yet another one in Boulder County, up near Gross Reservoir, that damaged at least one structure, but maybe more. It's hard to keep them straight. We learned this morning that the Stone Canyon fire (although I think I read it as Stone Creek somewhere?) killed at least one person, found inside a burned structure. I turned to the Mr and asked do you suppose that was the location of the origin of that fire? I'll see what the updates are tomorrow.

The haze has kept down the temperature just the tiniest bit, but mostly it has made it where the sun doesn't instantly incinerate me. It's still too hot to do much outside, but I can get from the house to the car now. It think the smoke is responsible for my excess fatigue and all-over body soreness. Many of my friends are reporting days-long migraines from it. I got my botox this morning, so at least I escaped migraine.

We needed a few things from Lowe's, and needed to find something to keep us busy until it was cool enough to function outside (although the auto maintenance he was waiting to do never materialized). We asked to steal Dmitri to go with us, and he was stoked for solo grandma/grandpa time. He talked to us the whole way there, and was happy not to be plopped in a cart as soon as we arrived. As we walked through the door, he stopped in his tracks, at the sight of the greatest thing he had seen in weeks (yes, trains and little brothers included). They were setting up a display of animatronic ghouls for Halloween, including two giant ones that could look into his mommy's upstairs office window. He stared at them for ages. I tried to catch on video of him doing a tippy-tappy dance in excitement, but I wasn't fast enough. No matter where we went in the store, he kept trying to steer us back. We had to go back to it five or six times. The set-up guy asked his name, and then officially dubbed it the Dmitri Display, on our fourth visit. I told him to sweet-talk his grandpa and see whether he will buy one.

We closed the day with game night. We finished the game of Wyrmspan we started weeks ago. I did not win, but that's okay. Near the very end of the game, I drew two dragon cards that charmed the heck out of me. One was a "jaunty dragonette," and I don't know about you, but jaunty is one of my favorite adjectives.  The other was a "bargaining grazer," and if that isn't Harvey as a dragon, I don't know what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment