Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Chewy

Inspirational song: Blue Bayou (Linda Ronstadt)

On purpose, all was quiet at Smith Park West. My caffeine withdrawal headache was milder today, but it wasn't gone. I gave myself another day with fewer obligations in order to work through this process. I am taking credit for being considerate to do the detox process while the Mr is not at home. Unfortunately that means it's on me to do all of the animal care, so when I do snap, it's at them. I may have used Mean Mommy voice to scare Alfred off the counter where he was nibbling from the dog food can. It probably wouldn't have been quite so foul an outburst, if it wasn't the fourth time I had told him to scram.

I was so committed to taking it easy that I set up shop in my bedroom to call into the weekly Rotary Zoom. I sat on the bed, leaning against the wall, with a giant stack of pillows on my lap as a phone prop. All the curtains were pulled, and the steady dark of this room was quite soothing.

I gave the idea of meals from a blender the old college try. I really did. But the leftover dark green thing from yesterday was just more than I could handle. It was the weirdest combination of banana, coconut, and kale. I hit my "nope" point halfway through it. Do people really consume stuff like this every day? I still have a bunch of protein powders I'm supposed to be eating. I'll still do that, but I restrict my mix ins to berries, banana, and maybe a little cucumber or celery. I'll just eat salads made of that giant bag of greens I bought.

The garden is starting to produce now, and with a finished fence around it, we actually have a chance at getting to the food before Elsa goes grazing. When I went hunting for herbs to decorate one of those power green salads, I came across some treasures. I almost never get full-size bell peppers, but this creamy yellow pepper was at the perfect stage for picking tonight. Right next to it, some black raspberry canes we got two years ago were producing berries for the very first time. I put them in my salad, and I was blown away by how perfectly sweet they are. Tomorrow I'll check the other side of the yard to see whether the blackberries are ready to bear also.

No comments:

Post a Comment