Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Willpower

Inspirational song: The Candy Man (Sammy Davis Jr)

It would have been so easy to sneak chocolate today. I have a candy drawer that I keep stocked with fun size chocolate bars and bags of fruit flavored candies. I know exactly where to find chocolate without having to drive anywhere to get it. But I didn't. I stuck it out, eating very plain meals, drinking only water. It's possible the pain in my upper right abdomen has lessened, but it is too early to know for sure. It has been there for so many years that I learned to live with it. I could just be blocking it with an abundance of optimism. 

I've been in a stupor for three days now. A headache comes and goes. The mid-afternoon nap is sudden and deep, but thankfully today not too long. Based on the one book I have read so far, the one that told me how and why to do this liver cleanse, I suppose that things my liver had been filtering out but failing to process are shaking loose and making me feel run down. I'd love to imagine this would be a quick process, but I know better. You can't undo a decade of damage in 48 hours. That rule applies pretty much across the board.

The real heat has arrived on the front range. I don't know when the rest of the country made it to triple digit heat, but we are just now hitting that stretch. I even pulled out the portable air conditioner in a moment of weakness this afternoon. It will get a workout over the next two weeks. It was bad enough that the in-person portion of the weekly game was back in my basement, so those of us in mid-century modern houses with no whole-house a/c could be comfortable for a few hours. The only up side: humidity does not exist on days like this. No really. My little weather station said the humidity was 1 percent. See photo for proof.

No comments:

Post a Comment