Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Forgiven

Inspirational song: Listen Like Thieves (INXS)

Athena has been eating slowly, and not eating a whole lot when she does, for months. I assumed she was just dainty, compared to the other three who inhale their breakfasts, and then literally sit in line behind Athena, waiting for her to give up halfway through a meal. I worried about how thin she was getting, underneath her impressive floof. It didn't occur to me until she got home from having five teeth removed yesterday that she was eating slowly because it hurt her so much. She has been screaming and begging for food all day, swearing to me that no one fed her at all (which is a lie). She felt she was being abused, getting only canned food and no kibble while her mouth heals. So to prove how much we were starving her, she was super aggressive with us over our dinner. We had steak, and when I set aside a piece of unchewable fat, she tried to lunge for it. I prevented her from stealing it. So she looked over at her daddy, saw him do the same move, and lightning-fast, she was on it. She jumped down (we were eating in front of the TV), and ran off with her head and tail high, as fast as her tiny legs could prance. What a dork. At least steak fat wasn't as hard and abrasive as cat kibble would have been.

She has apparently fully forgiven me for taking her to an all-day vet ordeal. She keeps hopping in my lap, and snuggling with me. I haven't put the carrier back in the closet yet, and she gives that thing a wide berth, as if she is afraid it can whisk her back to the vet like a dimension door.

I got a photo and story about Dino today, about her fussing and fussing, until she finally fell asleep in her swing, clutching the stuffed horsie her other grandma gave her. My takeaway from the story? "Is she finally interested in toys? Yay! I need to run to Target!" I got four little things to keep at my house: a fox with lots of details, a goofy unicorn that rattles, a set of silcone "keys," and a white kitty, because of course. I looked at a basic wooden blocks set, and decided to wait until she can sit up unassisted. And I need to find the classic ABC wooden blocks. It is almost go time!

No comments:

Post a Comment