Friday, July 10, 2020

Interactive

Inspirational song: Ooh Child (Five Stairsteps)

The household is back to maximum strength again. I picked up the Mr at the airport. Thank goodness he is back. Maybe now Murray will stop moping and eat his meals with gusto. Maybe now I will be able to sleep again, because chonky Jackie will sleep on his feet, not mine. I enjoy my animals, but some of the care and maintenance is a little beyond my ability. It's too much for me to get Murray into his wheelchair. I can't manhandle his legs, fighting against the involuntary rigor of his muscles (it's a reflex action, not him controlling them), while I'm bent over and compressing my bad lung even further. I have to rely on T coming over to wheel him up and set him down multiple times a day. I know we share dog care whenever the other goes out of town, but this feels like I'm asking a lot of him.

The trip to the airport, and the two hours I was baby-wrangling before it, was the first time I left the house all week. I needed the time to work through the keto flu, which is almost gone, and I had no interest being out in the heat and unrelenting sun. This is my whiniest time of year. I have never enjoyed summer in the way most humans do. I just wait for July and August to end. Every year. Thankfully, it always does. Once we get about halfway through September, I get happy and active again.

My daughter needed me to distract Dino for a couple of hours so she could clean house. I warned her I was still dragging from the total lack of carbs, but I was up to try. When I arrived, she was on her play mat, finally starting to engage with the dangling toys over it. I kept trying to offer it back to her, but she was over it by then. 

I am fascinated by this little kid. Every little movement she makes, down to the tiniest flick of her eyes, seems miraculous to me. When she was smiling and making noise, I kept listening for a giggle, and I wanted to believe I heard one, despite that being a skill they learn much later. It won't deter me from thinking she is brilliant and advanced for her age. Every time we talk to each other, either my daughter or I say some version of "that's a high quality baby, right there." It's true every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment