Saturday, February 20, 2021

Debris

Inspirational song: Fly Away (Lenny Kravitz)

Mr S-P went flying today. He has gained access to a small plane that is kept at the Boulder Airport, and he is trying to brush up on his skills that have gotten a little rusty over the years. I stayed home, taking it easy after cleaning the condo yesterday. 

So when I saw a photo on Twitter of airplane parts on a Colorado soccer field, right about the time he was up in the air, I immediately started chasing down details, in a tiny bit of a panic. It was a bit of a relief to learn the parts were from the housing of a passenger jet engine, not a tiny private plane. But the much (MUCH) bigger relief was to learn that as of tonight, there have been zero reports of injuries, either from the people on the plane that lost an engine, or over several miles of Broomfield where the debris landed.

The first photos I had seen were giant chunks of the plane that had landed on the soccer field at Broomfield Commons. This is a place I know well. My BFF lived right next to it. Every time I came back to Colorado from wherever we were stationed, I stayed with her. She and her family sold that house a few years ago, and moved out of state, but they still know people in the neighborhood. So I screenshotted a map and showed my family how close it was to their old place. Mr S-P looked at what I had circled on the map, and realized that the biggest bit of debris, a big circle off the front of the engine called a "nacelle," landed just a couple of blocks from another of our friends. He texted her to see whether she saw anything, and found that she had been in her basement, completely unaware that the sky was falling all around her.

No comments:

Post a Comment