Monday, February 8, 2021

Genuine Baby

Inspirational song: The Weight (The Band)

There is no way that hulking puppy only weighs 57 pounds. How is that possible? She is taller and longer than Elsa, and her head is distinctly chunkier. But then, while we were at the vet getting weighed (and moved up to the large-dog size of heartworm preventative), I asked the doc to take a look and make sure she wasn't too skinny for her size and age. They said she was fine, and made an aborted attempt to talk me out of a grain-free diet (she didn't push once I made it clear the diet is for me not Saoirse, since she rolls all over my bed and puts her mouth on me at least twice an hour). I made a bargain to let the dog have rice as a food topper sometimes, if the doc wouldn't try to guilt me any more than she already did.

We weren't expecting the Best Baby in Colorado to come by today, but nonetheless we got two hours with her this afternoon. She continues to impress us every day. This time, it was demonstrating that she understand that pressing piano keys makes noises. She stood there, next to the low notes, for over ten minutes, having a ball. When her blood sugar ran out and her energy got low, she snuggled up with grandpa, and snacked on a bottle until they both fell asleep. I sat quietly, playing on my phone. Athena started meowing, and just wouldn't stop. I wanted to call out to her not to sing the song of her people, because she was going to wake the baby. After about 90 seconds of Athena's opera about killing mousies, I looked up and saw two little blue eyes just staring at me. The baby didn't say anything, didn't move. Just stared at me, for the longest time. What a silly girl.


No comments:

Post a Comment