Tuesday, February 9, 2021

The Next National Moment

Inspirational song: Ramblin' Man (The Allman Brothers Band)

Once upon a time, life was too busy for entertainment. I worked too many hours, and had extensive obligations raising two daughters. I have significantly more time on my hands now to pay attention to common cultural events. I listen to some popular music, I watch the hottest Netflix series, I use current slang, and I understand a respectable portion of internet memes. I no longer feel like I'm in a pop culture black hole. 

Thus even if I didn't have a specific interest in this week's feed from DC, I would probably be watching anyway, too keep up with what the cool kids are talking about on Twitter. It started right before my weekly Rotary meeting was supposed to start, and I looked deep into myself, and knew I could never focus on the meeting, knowing this was going on. Instead of setting up the tripod for zoom, I raised the adjustable base on my bed, to make it more like a recliner, and settled in to watch the s-show.

Some of the speeches were really good. I'm specifically thinking of what a revelation the Representative from here is. His bearing and delivery were surprisingly flawless. I miss out being in his district by a distance so small, even I with my poor health could walk to it. (I remember going through the caucus process and county convention when he first got the nomination, when I had no idea who he was. He has impressed me at every moment since then.) Some of the speeches were, ah, not good. They will go down in history as some of the weirdest legal orations. I watched and read Twitter at the same time, wondering if everyone else was seeing this, or was I having a stroke. No stroke. No burnt toast smell. Just men rambling and reciting poems. I decided I needed chocolate to get through it, and ended up digging out one of the brownies I had saved in the freezer for emergencies. When it was all over, I flattened out the bed and napped until my brain recovered from absorbing the livestream of weird. At least there are tons of Americans who saw it the way I did. In that we all digitally looked at each other and asked, "What was that?"

No comments:

Post a Comment