Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Seated

Inspirational song: Antmusic (Adam and the Ants)

Generally our family tries to do the right thing for the planet. We recycle. We use only LED lights. We set the thermostat a few degrees toward the low side. And we are spending big bucks to install solar panels on the house as soon as the rig is designed (professionally). But there is one line I have been dragged across in the past, against my will, and I have firmly placed myself back on the less environmentally conscious side. I dislike cloth diapers. In fact, dislike is such a lukewarm term, considering my past experience with them. I hated using them on my own babies. They smelled horrible, they were a pain to wash properly, and they trapped moisture next to skin, leaving rashes. But back in those days, I was pushed into using them both by my hippie husband and by our meager bank balances. The few times I got to use disposable diapers on the kids were such a huge relief to me. 

Now my daughter is experimenting with them on her own accord. I am trying not to influence her one way or another. It's a personal family choice, and they have to do what they feel is best for them. But I've told them I just don't have the energy to deal with them when the baby is here. That's the God's honest truth. While they were visiting today, they learned another one of the drawbacks to cloth diapers: leaks. That poor kid had two complete outfit changes and a bath while she was here. Conveniently, they were here to do laundry, while they wait for their (new!) dryer to be repaired. There were clothing options.

I spent a lot of time watching that baby like a hawk, thinking that any second she would let go and stand under her own power. I took long videos, imagining I would capture an actual first step. No such luck. Baby is strong and advancing her balance, but as yet, no early walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment