Sunday, December 5, 2021

Exchange

Inspirational song: We Need a Little Christmas (Johnny Mathis)

As today was our last full day together, we went ahead and had our Christmas exchange this afternoon. We weren't able to bring too much in our suitcases, just a few things (I chose things specific to my hometown). The girls snuck out to Walmart yesterday and printed off tons of photos, and created framed collages, one from Valerie's first year and a half, the other shots taken from this trip. We had the most fun watching Val trying to understand this concept of ripping paper and finding cool things inside.

My step-aunt and uncle came over for dinner. Of my stepmother's large family, this is the sister I know the best. They were the ones who came to the Villages almost 20 years ago, who provided a lure to get my parents here. Dinner was relaxed and casual, my favorite sort of gathering.

Val performed as expected. She was on point, charming new people as she is wont to do. Dinner was spaghetti, and that baby loves her some pasta. As long as she was eating the rice pasta, it was great. When her mama refilled her portion with regular spaghetti, I had to be careful to keep her from touching me. It's so hard to resist the urge to reach out and adjust her plate or napkin or whatever. I can't even help wipe all that red sauce off her face. Best I can do is take lots of pictures, which I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment