Thursday, December 16, 2021

Things We Want

Inspirational song: The Syncopated Clock (Leroy Anderson)

You know I was having a good time if I forgot to pull out my phone for more than one quick picture. Today was the Rotary holiday luncheon. Both our Tuesday club and the Thursday group went to a newly renovated space in one of the historic buildings downtown, for good food, conversation, door prizes, and trivia. I manned the door, checking people off the guest list, making sure they had tickets to drop in the door prize boxes (everyone got to choose five from the fifteen or so available). It was quite a test for me, trying to remember the last names of everyone from both clubs (our badges emphasize first names), and most people came in wearing masks anyway. 

The trivia game was great fun. Each table was a team, and the presenter played Christmas songs and asked really obscure questions about them. We didn't win, but we showed well. Like, none of us had a clue who sang the original version of I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus, but I knew in an instant when he asked who composed Sleigh Ride. (Thanks, Mr Vandewalker, my middle school band director, for sharing your love of all things Leroy Anderson.) I put my tickets in prize boxes that I thought would have a little less competition (I didn't need the champagne basket), and darned if I didn't get something I really wanted! It was a certificate for a free audiogram and solid ear plugs from one of our club's doctors. I've been living with tinnitus for decades (it never, never, never stops), and I am so ready to pursue treatment. This lights a fire under me for that.

We had a visit from the tiny queen again tonight. She came over while her mom was at work and dad needed to prepare for their big party this weekend. She watched me pull out the Christmas tree and set it up (just lights so far, no ornaments), and we played iPad games. I made grilled cheese sandwiches for both of us, and she did a decent job of working through hers. There were several times she heard the word no ("no, don't color on the cabinets," and "no, we aren't taking a bath right now.") and she did not like it. Oh, the emotions. It takes a while to learn how to handle not getting your way. We will get there eventually.


No comments:

Post a Comment