Friday, December 24, 2021

Grandma's Night

Inspirational song: (There's No Place Like) Home for the Holidays (Perry Como)

Today was a whole lot of work, but it ended up being totally worth it. I pulled the roast out of the fridge to come to temperature before 9 this morning, and from there, we were off to the races. Still had to assemble glazed carrots, potatoes au gratin, and mushroom crepes during the course of the day, as well as correctly cook a $64 hunk of cow to perfect medium rare (I did it). There was quite a bit of work involved in getting the dining room table decluttered, expanded, and set. Mr S-P helped me a lot, especially with the table clearing and potato slicing.

I pulled the roast out of the oven moments before the kids showed up. I still had to stand in the kitchen for a while, making crepes. My kitchen is a decent size, but not big enough for five adults to mill around me while I'm trying to cook and ferry dishes to the table. It was awkwardly crowded. We settled in and had a wonderful Christmas Eve dinner. I'm so glad I claimed this night as grandma's night. Last year I tried my hand at tamales. This year was a blend of English and French foods. I'm thinking maybe next year will be German (if one can make a "crisp" gluten-free apple strudel, to fit in with the song). 

Val still isn't 100% sure about this present unwrapping business. Sometimes she is into tearing paper, as evidenced by the video we got this morning of her stabbing on of our presents over and over with a large ornament shaped like a conical shell. But here, it was work to get one package opened. She is still just young enough that she doesn't get what we are asking her to do. Next year she will be shredding paper with the best of them.

We took a few group shots by the tree at the end of the night. I look at them now and do the self-criticism thing, but I know I will be glad to have these images years from now.

By the time most of you read this, it will be officially Christmas. Merry Christmas, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment