Saturday, December 4, 2021

The Story

Inspirational song: O Come, All Ye Faithful (v. Pentatonix)

Technology makes just about everything more entertaining. This evening, we went to a nearby church in The Villages, where we all lined up in our cars (golf carts in the front rows), and watched a Jumbotron presentation of the Christmas story as a multi-media event. I don't know whether drive-in church was a thing pre-pandemic, but it sure is now. Honestly it made things a lot easier. We unhooked Val from her car seat, and she was able to bounce around between us at will, and no one needed to shush us when she made sudden, loud vocalizations. The presentation was simulcast on the radio, and we all sang carols and had a grand time playing with the pen lights they gave us to wave during Silent Night.

In our attempts to find appropriate Christmas movies to play with a toddler, we logged in to all our streaming apps on the TV here, so tonight when Val went to bed right after we played the recorded SEC championship game (we left right before the half to go to the church), I decided I'd pull up a little Apple TV. I took a risk and started over with Ted Lasso, with people who had never seen any of it. Myself, I had only watched two episodes. We started with the pilot, and just kept going. My stepmother was tired and went to bed, but my dad and my daughter kept saying, "yeah, let's watch another one." It's just so darned charming we couldn't stop. I bet we sneak in one or two more before we watch more American football tomorrow.

This trip has really been fun. I am so glad my daughter suggested it. Plus, having a whole week has been a great luxury, not trying to cram everything we wanted to do into just a weekend. We still haven't gotten around to some things, but I guess that means we will have to come back, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment