Friday, December 31, 2021

And the Horse You Rode In On

Inspirational song: The One Thing (INXS)

Just end this MFing year already. I'm over it. I didn't really want to stay up until midnight, but now I will just to make sure that jerky year leaves on time.

I had an upset tummy from the time I got up. I kept yawning uncontrollably. I knew what this meant. Full-blown migraine. The headache arrived right on schedule. I spent nearly the entire day, curled up in the recliner, with the right half of my face pressed into a big pillow. The only good thing I had all day was that I faced the picture window where I watched it snow all day, when I could stand to have my eyes open.

Morning revealed heartbreaking loss in Louisville and Superior. Someone the Mr went to high school with lost her house and dog. Many, many others had equal losses. Amazingly, our family's homes all made it. The snow was heavy enough to make a difference on hot spots, but now the disaster turns in a new direction: bone-chilling cold in areas that have no electricity. The report on the source of the fire yesterday did not reveal downed power lines as of yet. There were downed communication lines, but those should not have sparked a grass fire. I'll follow up with what we learn tomorrow.

And then, to prove what a horrible year it was, we lost the greatest national treasure of the last century, Betty White. My favorite take on her passing is that 2021 didn't take her, she took it out. Well, bless her and godspeed, Betty.

I'm heading into 2022 the way I intend to go on, in pajamas, not quite sober, playing Nintendo Switch games. After the day I had, the week we've had in Boulder County, and the year we have had as a species, it is the only way forward. Join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment