Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Home Again

Inspirational song: Lovely to See You (The Moody Blues)

Who here is surprised that I spent all day doing absolutely nothing? Show of hands. Hm. I can't actually see any hands, but not just because this is print media, as it were. No one in their right mind would have expected me to be functional after arriving home at 01:30, which translates to 03:30 in the time zone where I had spent my last week. I mean, I was pretty darned proud of myself for answering a single work email (letting my employing broker know which charity I want my annual Colorado Gives portion to go to) and putting a repair treatment in my hair for an hour before showering (at like 5 o'clock). I had a fantastic vacation at Senior Disneyland, as I will forever call it, but the traveling to and from is a whole lot.

When last I wrote, Valerie was screeching in exhaustion, right before we boarded the plane. Moments later, a Christmas miracle occurred. For the second time that day, we had a row all to ourselves, and that little munchkin fell asleep within about ten minutes after takeoff. We let her sprawl between us, wrapped in her soft blankie, and she was peaceful until the flight attendant tapped me on the shoulder to wake me so I could hold her for landing (which she mostly slept through also). She slept in the car on the way back home, and she barely mumbled when her daddy carried her inside to her own bed. 

All the small faces here were following me around as soon as I stumbled inside in the wee hours, and they have been glued to me ever since. While I was getting ready to collapse into bed, Saoirse came into my bedroom quietly, and she startled when I called out to her from just out of her field of vision. I got one of those greetings like a soldier just home from deployment. She put her paws on my shoulders and hugged and kissed me. Normally I don't allow her to jump on me like that, but she was so excited to see me, I let her have this one. Athena was equally cuddly, and I was smushed between them the rest of the night. I haven't had a whole hour today without some cat in my lap, needing reassurance that I'm really home. Tomorrow I have to rejoin the world, but today was for resting and reconnecting with my quadrupeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment