Monday, December 27, 2021

Out

Inspirational song: A Million Miles Away (The Plimsouls)

They say it's a good thing that raising children is left to the young. People my age don't have that kind of energy anymore. The little whirlwind came to visit today. She is a whole lot of fun, every time she is here, but wow does she leave me feeling drained when she goes home. I'd love to be able to keep up with her on all of her adventures. I'll never achieve that level of activity again.

She learned to sneak a piece of candy today. Well, she probably already knew how, but this was the first time she got caught doing it over here. I dipped into my Christmas candy, and crunched a Jordan almond in front of her. She popped up and waited expectantly for a treat for herself. I fished a licorice candy out of the bag, and gave it to her. The one I gave had a white candy shell. I went to the kitchen for a moment, and when I returned, she had tiny pink dots all around her mouth, from going back for a second candy when my back was turned. (These are the licorice bits in mixed pink and white shells.) I get the feeling this won't be the last time this happens.

By the end of the day, we were both absolutely spent. We watched the rest of season one of Ted Lasso, and I had to put my foot down and insist we didn't have the emotional energy left to start season two tonight. We ended up watching the rebroadcast of the launch of the James Webb space telescope, with the live ticker across the bottom that tracks how far it actually is along its journey. It will be months yet before it is fully deployed and sending back data. I can't wait to see what it finds.

No comments:

Post a Comment