Monday, February 21, 2022

In the Way

Inspirational song: Mama (Genesis)

I am easily distracted. I had things I really had to do today, same as yesterday. Still needed to clean and dig for those certificates to prove I've been honest about my continuing education. I have doctor's appointments the rest of the week, so this was my best day to do it. But when I got a last minute request to watch the grandbaby for a few hours, of course I said yes. I was offered the choice to just keep track of her at her own house, while mommy was at work and daddy was running a game, but I chose to bring her here. I needed to tidy the kitchen and then cook dinner for her grandpa, and she could "help" me. It was grandpa's birthday today, and I knew he would enjoy her company for part of it. 

Unfortunately, he wasn't home when I first started babysitting. He did some school tasks and went to the climbing gym. Val and I had fun, but she was bound and determined to be in the way the whole time I was trying to wash dishes and cook. What sort of baby game is it to squeeze into the tight space between me and the counter while I'm working, and hang on my jeans? She has been learning from all the cats and my dog, and every time I tried to take a step, there she was slow-walking in my path.

She and I had a blast, practicing every kind of funny laugh we could think of, mimicking each other. She did a lot of coloring, including on my kitchen floor and refrigerator. Sometimes, she would bring her paper and crayons over to my chair, and ask to sit in my lap to draw. That was pretty special. She takes a crayon or pencil, and puts it in my left hand (because she is observant and knows which one I use) and asks me to draw things. I invariably start with a heart, the first shape I ever think of to draw. This time, I made one, and drew a big V in it for Valerie. Then I wrote MOM upside down (because of the way she was facing) and put a heart around that. I told her what it said, and she repeated, "MOM!!" She said it a handful of times, so I pulled out the camera. It took two tries, but I got her saying it with the most happy, excited voice. I sent it to the group, and my daughter saw it right as she stopped for gas on the way here. She admitted she watched the video like 80 times through while she filled her car.

And since I was teased yesterday about not putting enough cat pictures in the blog lately, I present Harvey, the cuddle-monkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment