Thursday, February 24, 2022

Mine

Inspirational song: With a Little Help from My Friends (The Beatles)

Timing is everything. I spent weeks, months, studying all sorts of cars. Taking virtual test drives on YouTube every night, until I felt like I had sat inside every kind of SUV they make. I didn't feel the need to get inside of most of them in real life. I knew which ones would feel bad just to sit in. Once I narrowed it down to a clear favorite, I took a real test drive to prove what I already knew. That was the one. I knew it as surely as I recognized the little blue one I have now was My Car.

I had to wait until the money was here to get serious, but as soon as it was incoming, I started watching inventory. Turns out the car I chose is hard as heck to acquire. Only a few of them show up at dealers, and the ones I'd been seeing online were illusory. They were already sold, before they arrived.

I turned to an expert. I am glad I did. My buddy, who I spend time with every week, was a car salesman for decades. She is ruthless and knows how to make a deal and get concessions out of people. Usually she uses these skills for good, like getting businesses to give donations to fundraisers or discounts for Rotarians to hold parties in their bars and restaurants. This week, she has graced me with the benefit of her talent. She has acted as a concierge for my car purchase. She has called all around, getting the actual bank value of my trade in, and finding dealers who are willing to behave themselves. Right now inventory is so tight, most dealers are asking "market adjustments" over MSRP, and with the kind of car I want (a PHEV), they're getting $10,000 over MSRP. My advocate found a dealer who will go straight MSRP, with a small military discount. I was happy enough to have a source lined up. I was told they would see their allocations of vehicles next week, and I hoped I'd have a chance. Then she called me back, and said they got their allocation report early, and there it was: one 2022 Tucson Limited plug-in hybrid. Due in April. She told me to call the guy immediately, and put money on it. 

I have an over the phone agreement. First thing in the morning I will get a signed piece of paper between us. I'm very happy to have one to claim, but my joy is tempered by it being a silver car. I hate silver cars. I've had four or five of them, and they just look so washed out. My friend's son suggested I go to another guy in our Rotary club whose sign company also does vinyl wrap to change the color. You know, once I have a pocketful of change again, that might be a fun idea. Maybe an olive green or deep burgundy.

I say this in all seriousness: if the process of car buying gives you even a little stress, get help! My friend is considering licensing herself as a for-pay concierge, and I am behind her 100%. I will be her best testimonialist. I could never have done what she did in a million years. If any of my Colorado friends are in the market for a new car (or new to you), please contact me. I'll hook you up.

No comments:

Post a Comment