Sunday, February 27, 2022

Non Merci

Inspirational song: A Musical (Something Rotten!)

Generally, I am very pro-musical. I could watch The Music Man or My Fair Lady or Hamilton (for example) just about any night of the week, and be content. I still know most of the words to Cats from having the original cast album in the 80s, and would sing along, given the chance. I cut my teeth on Jesus Christ Superstar, and that soundtrack was our favorite driving music on long trips for years. To be brutally honest, I might be the only person in America who loved the Sgt Pepper movie to the point of obsession. My own brother thinks I'm just a little weird in how much I love musicals.

So it is with regret that I say today, when we drove down to Boulder to see Cyrano, for the first half of the movie I kept thinking, "Why did they make this a musical?" The first three or four songs were terrible (I didn't count for sure because I was so turned off). It was easily halfway through before there was a song I even vaguely liked. Then there were a couple more that had some real value. The movie itself was good, with its adaptation to make Cyrano de Bergerac's "deformity" be Peter Dinklage's dwarfism. They didn't have to put on a prosthetic nose, they just let him be his own awesome self, and changed a couple of lines in the play. As always, I was riveted by the costumes, and the Mr admitted even he too was focused on the cool guard uniforms with the dozens of buttons. But the songs. Really. It was like the first half and second were composed by entirely different people. There was only one song that really blew us away (Wherever I Fall, part 1).

I suppose when it shows up on a streaming service, I'll watch again and give it another chance, or at least listen to the soundtrack once or twice. Maybe it will grow on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment