Friday, February 18, 2022

Priorities

Inspirational song: The Long and Winding Road (v. Peter Frampton)

What a long string of choices and circumstances beyond my control led me to this place, where I spend enough time at home to be the primary caregiver for my grandchild (soon to be grandchildren). Most of it feels like I had little choice in the matter, such as the military telling our family when to pick up and move, interrupting my chances at a steady career, or my health falling off a cliff such that I can never work a 40 hour a week job again. But there were definitely forks in the road where I determined my own orientation. I never achieved great heights in business or industry, but I appreciate the quiet path I'm on, getting just enough real estate business to say that I'm employed, but able to set aside permanent babysitting and Rotary days on a long-term basis. Not everyone needs material riches. I might have thought I did years ago. Now I've figured out exactly what (or rather, who) is valuable to me, and they seem to keep coming with blue or blue-green eyes. Chances are the next most important person in my life will too.

We appear to have gotten past whatever block was keeping Val from practicing her words around us. She was chatty with her parents at home, but with us and the game group, she would only grunt and point. Until this last week or so, that is. Now she speaks often, and even uses her words to comedic effect. She knows when we think a word is funny, and she will drop it at odd times, just to watch us laugh. And she is always listening. When her daddy picked her up today, she wasn't even in the room, and she commented on our conversation. From the hallway towards my room, we heard, "Mommy!" She follows more complex directions, and has specific likes and dislikes, with ways to get what she wants.

I tried to talk to her again about the baby in mommy's tummy. One of these days she will get it, I hope. Otherwise she is going to be hecking surprised when Mom and Dad go away overnight, and come back with somebody smaller than her who doesn't ever leave.


No comments:

Post a Comment