Sunday, February 13, 2022

Superb

Inspirational song: Party in the U.S.A. (Miley Cyrus)

More often than not, we have attended Superbowl parties when that particular opportunity arises. Our neighbor has been our go-to for years. But this year, he was burned out on hosting, and I get that. He was happy to go somewhere new, to a party hosted by some of his wife's friends, and we were okay with popping in and out of the game from home.

I say in and out because we may have done a little light kidnapping. With very little advance planning, we zipped over to the kids' house early in the first quarter of the game to steal that baby, and bring her back here to have dinner with grandma and grandpa. It wasn't anything fancy. We just made bratwurst, baked beans, and pickles. Surprisingly, the only part of that meal Val had any interest in was the beans. She was mostly interested in dancing on grandma's bed while the halftime show was on. Right around the time the second half kicked off, we took her back home. I hope this opens the door to it being a regular, casual thing for her to pop over for a meal, anytime one of us suggests it. I want her to feel, as her parents and our friends do, that she is welcome here at any time, with no excuse required.

As for the game, we went in with no strong feelings one way or another. There were players I liked on both teams, and I knew they were each having amazing seasons. I thought they were evenly matched, and the parts of the game I watched were pretty good. I saw some fantastic passes and catches, in between cooking and watching the baby draw on my kitchen floor with crayons. (Yes, she was told to cut it out as soon as I saw her.) I've already seen a few people complain about the officiating, but that happens so often that I think it's basically a non-issue for me. I wish the vocals had been a little louder in the mix for the halftime show. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I had a hard time hearing them clearly. Val liked dancing along with Mary J Blige, and she seemed to think Eminem had a good groove. For all that I thought it was a good game, the show at my house was better.

No comments:

Post a Comment