Saturday, February 5, 2022

Test Test

Inspirational song: Doctor My Eyes (Jackson Browne)

There is a Veggie Tales retelling of the King David and Bathsheba story called King George and the Ducky. In this version, the thing George covets is not a person but a kid's rubber ducky. There is a catchy song that no one in our family has been able to forget for over twenty years. Thus, when I arrived home after test driving the Tucson today, and my daughter was approaching by foot to have lunch with me, as soon as she got within range of my voice, I said (in just the right intonation), "I want it." She paused only a second before she responded appropriately, "What, the house?" I finished, "No, the ducky."

So the test drive went well. We took out a regular hybrid, SEL trim package. It was a dream to drive! Zippy and quiet and great handling. We only went out about five miles, on the highway that leads to the interstate, and then came back. We paused in the Lowe's parking lot to sit in the backseat and measure it for a baby seat, and poke around the trunk a little to see how big it feels. Mr S-P had his poker face on, but I've known him for close to 35 years. I easily picked up how his tone and word choices changed in relation to the idea of getting a new car. I think I have finally convinced him. Whew!

The salesman I talked to was nice enough, but I'm more concerned about making this work financially than being tied to any one person. If I get sent to a different dealer by going through the Costco program, I will go where we can get the model we choose at a price we can accept. We still don't know whether we are going regular or plug-in hybrid. Plug-ins are really hard to acquire right now, I assume because they are manufactured in South Korea not at the Alabama plant, and we all know how hard it is to get stuff right now. There are incentives from the state and federal government to buy a PHEV that might make the wait worthwhile. I won't really need the bigger car until summer, so I can take a little time to make the right choice.

The kids came over for lunch and so we could attend a zoom baby shower together, for one of our nieces who is due in a few weeks. We got lots of quality toddler time. While baby and mommy were sitting at the table trying to get through some pot roast and veggies, Val snatched mommy's fork away from her. Mommy said hey, that's mine. A tiny kid voice started repeating, "Mine." I had not heard her say that before. There may come a day when we wish she had not learned that word, but today, my heart exploded in joy to hear it. On her way out the door, she pointed out in the cutest way how much I need to sweep my front steps. She threw several handfuls of leaves up in the air, over her head. How is it that just makes her seem all the cuter?




No comments:

Post a Comment