Monday, August 15, 2022

80085

Inspirational song: Release Me (Engelbert Humperdinck)

All the email and text reminders linked to the same info. If I clicked the link to the clinic for my appointment, it indicated the address was still the one closest to me. Once I searched hard enough, I found something saying the new location was supposed to open today. So I tried calling the clinic last Thursday, to get clarification. At 3 in the afternoon, during the workweek, it went to the message saying to call back during business hours. I had only one acceptable option, in my mind. I had to go to the old office really early for my appointment, just in case I had to drive to the new medical center at the other hospital. I showed up a couple minutes past 9 (for a 9:30 appointment), and sure enough. I had to go across town. 

In the grand scheme of things, it was a minor inconvenience. It was worth a little runaround, to have the rock star cancer surgeon tell me she was happy with my progress, and as long as I am good about checking in with the oncologist as directed, she would turn me loose. Yay! It has been one year since the last cancer surgery (five months since the equalization surgery), and I've been cleared and released. 

There is still some healing to happen. A few spots of fat necrosis that will take time to absorb. But the difference in how much weight is off my shoulders in both the figurative and very literal sense is amazing. I have been wearing bras less and less often, even in situations where I'm pushing the boundaries of propriety. It just feels so good not to have straps digging into my shoulders and ribs. I have tasted freedom, and I don't intend to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment