Sunday, August 14, 2022

Drawn

Inspirational song: Everyday I Write the Book (Elvis Costello)

Even on the days I swear I will do nothing, I never do entirely nothing. Our daughter showed up with the babies in tow, ready to break through the Mr's executive disfunction, and help out with the stalled yard conversion. Together they finished digging out and expanding the curve on the paisley garden, what we call the raised bed closest to the driveway. Then they graded the base soil in the corner, and laid down more weed barrier and mulch. It still isn't done, but just having that corner finished gives me hope.

While they were laboring in the sun, I was inside with the little ones. Dmitri spent most of the time either sleeping or eating. He got a little tummy time too. Valerie kind of did her own thing. She is getting old enough that she doesn't need grandma to guide her play. Her imagination is enough to handle it all. She seemed to value the time she was trusted to sit on the porch, playing with sidewalk chalk, while I was inside watching her through the window, and mommy and papa were working in the yard. I think she also enjoyed when she was allowed to stand by papa, who was watering flowers with the hose, and watered her for good measure. 

My daughter had sent a photo early this morning of both kids piled on her, while they drank their respective morning beverages. She said this group snuggle time feeds her soul. I told her to keep those memories in a safe place. I can still feel cuddling on the couch with my two when they were toddlers, living in a basement apartment. These are key pages in our books of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment