Sunday, August 7, 2022

Bag Your Space

Inspirational song: Long Train Running (Doobie Brothers)

Once I got going, I just couldn't stop! 

Part two of the deal we made, was that my daughter (and the grandkids) would come here and provide the emotional support for me to keep cleaning. The house was much less messy than usual, so I didn't need as much whip-cracking to mop or scrub or whatnot. I needed someone to make the face and wave her hand dismissively when I held up an object and wondered whether I could handle donating it. She talked me through a ton of things, and I easily got rid of twice as many clothes with her egging me on. I let go of things in colors I love, but that were a little too tight or in scratchy fabrics. I put decorative items I no longer display in the bin. I put in older small appliances I've replaced already with better versions. I need to count where I stopped tonight, but I have reasonable certainty that it is over 40 items. I overfill the donation tub and started stacking on top of it. 

We went to Walmart, looking for storage solutions. I got a couple canvas underbed zippered bags, large enough to hold all of the sweaters and sweatshirts I plan to keep. I am changing my shoe storage, and created more room in my bedroom closet. I've nearly pulled all the remaining clothes from the guest room closet, and I've been merciless about getting rid of things that are still good but haven't been pulled out in a few years. I picked up a pair of extra large vacuum bags, and compacted two comforters and several pillows into flat packs, reducing their shelf footprint by at least 60%. 

All of this is giving me that same euphoric high that it has been offering all year long. This is the best thing I could have done for myself, and it is only getting better from here. I could look at a Julian calendar to be sure, but I am pretty sure I have donated 250 items or more now. It feels amazing. 

I've been trying to decide what a good prize would be for when I reach 365. I have a very good chance of hitting it before the end of the year. I don't want to undo everything by making it a material reward. Buying more stuff is not the prize for getting rid of all my clutter. Then I hit upon it. The best reward for this kind of goal: hire professional cleaners to do a major deep clean of the whole house. This is what I need to get over the finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment