Friday, August 26, 2022

Unity

Inspirational song: Scarborough Fair (Simon and Garfunkel)

The Chamber of Commerce sponsored Unity in the Community returned this evening. It used to be inside at the old convention center. But that event site was shut down and, if I recall correctly, torn down a few years ago. So they reinvented Unity as a street fair. And then Corona happened. They missed at least one, maybe two years of it. It's back now, and as strong as ever. Turnout seemed pretty fantastic to me, compared to the one time I went back at the old site.

While Rotary had a booth, the one I made hand-written signs for, I spent very little time at it. My volunteer job was to sit at the entrance down by the library, keep track of entrants on a clicker, and keep people from leaving with open beers. One guy left with a can in a koozy, but claimed it was soda. I said fine, rather than tackle him to verify his claim. One man asked to leave his beer on the ground next to me while he got something from his car. And late in my shift, I watched one guy drain his beer and empty the dregs into the bushes before he reached me. I pointed to the recycle bin so he didn't have to carry the cup. That was it. The three most exciting things that happened, directly related to my obligation.

I would have died from boredom if my family had not made an appearance. My daughter came with both kids, and I was allowed to leave my post long enough to grab food with her (once a replacement arrived). Then later, the Mr showed up, to walk around and then be my ride home. It might have been a somewhat boring place to sit, but overall, it was actually quite pleasant. It was overcast and cool, and a little breeze remained until it got dark. The people who walked past me nodded and responded when I greeted them or wished them a good evening. And there were so many cute dogs walking around. I only got to pet one, though. She was the cutest one there, so it worked out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment